The course is predominantly within a National Park, and all paddlers must be self-sufficient for an extended paddle, with the following as a minimum;
- Every paddler, regardless of craft, is required to wear a Level 50 or 50S non-inflatable lifejacket during the event.
- All craft must have a Fixed Vertical Number Holder. (numbers taped on the deck will not pass scrutineering).
- All craft must have positive buoyancy, and float upright and level with the surface in order to provide support for a paddler in the event of a capsize.
- One paddler in each craft must wear the emergency phone number wristband provided.
- One paddler in each craft must carry a mobile phone in a waterproof pouch.
- 47km Paddlers must each have a minimum of 2 litres of water and 50 grams of solid food, or 2 litres of liquid race food..
- 27km paddlers must each have a minimum of 1 litre of fluid.
- 12km paddlers are each advised to have fluids on board.